Ever Wonder What Stood At Kingshighway & Lindell Before the Chase Park Plaza?
The John W. Kauffman House. Built in 1885 on an eight acre tract at the northeast corner of Lindell Boulevard and Kingshighway. Kauffman, born in 1830, was a flour miller who made an enormous fortune through his daring grain speculations. He built a large house of stone and brick. The house, primarily Queen Anne in style, had many steep gables, turrets, towers, dormers, and chimneys.
The estate covered the area bounded by Lindell, Kingshighway, Maryland, and Euclid. The mansion and outbuildings were razed in the early 1920s and the site is now occupied by the Chase Park Plaza and Hotel, built in 1922.